Saturday, December 13, 2008

synchroblog 3: Christmas

a lot of people spend christmas with their mom and dad and brothers and sisters (if they have them) well the last time it was only my mom and dad and sister (past tense so yes sister) was when i was 3 years old. since then i've NEVER had a small family get together, and it seems that as i get older we ADD more people. people move closer to us, or something, idk. since then it has almost always been me, my sister, my momma, my grandpa, my grandma, my aunt and uncle, and since sixth grade, my cousin. on christmas eve my family would make tamale pie, i didn't used to like it, but now i do, and then my mom and aunt would go next door and exchange presents with them, while my sister, grandparents and i would put up the stockings and put out the cookies for santa. there was one year that i wanted to write a letter for santa to read that night, not an "i want this for christmas" kind of letter, just something for him read and spend some time relaxing for a few extra seconds. i woke up the next morning and he had written back! i was so happy. then for christmas day my sister would always wake me up, and i'd try to ignore her (i was never a morning person, not even on christmas day) then we'd have to wake my mom up and they'd watch us open our stockings, while they opened theirs (santa came for children of all ages in our house) and every year santa would forget that my mom was allergic to oranges and tangerines, so my sister and i would always take them. oh and every year we always got a teddy bear in our stockings, there was only one year where it was an exception and we got stuffed dogs, that was my favorite stuffed animal, and would still be my favorite stuffed animal if i could find it :( then my sister and i would take everyone's stockings and empty the nuts in the toes into our nut bowl in our kitchen, and we'd take everyone's fruit and put it in their respective places. oranges in the bowl in the kitchen, apples in the fridge, and so on. then after we had finished with that, we would all get together and eat breakfast, homemade waffles, fried eggs and sausage. my grandpa would cook the sausage ahead of time and would put it in the oven on broil so it would stay warm, and my grandma would make the eggs after she made the waffle batter, and my grandpa would sit at the head of the table making the waffles on the waffle maker that they got for their wedding (yes it still works!) we'd sit around our table and eat and talk and laugh and then we would all help with the dishes and afterward my sister and i would hand out the presents and we would all sit in the living room and open our presents. the rest of the day was spent cleaning up and finding places to keep all of our new goodies. and for dinner we have turkey or ham or something, and this is a holiday tradition (we have it for thanksgiving as well) we have jell-o salad, well technically ribbon salad. its great it is three layers and for christmas, we have red jell-o on the bottom, the classic middle white layer, that i still don't know whats in it, besides pineapple and pineapple juice, and then on top its green (and the way we get my grandma to remember is "the green of the christmas tree" and for thanksgiving it is the same, but the red and green jell-o layers are switched) then our family from oregon comes down for new years and we usually do a separate christmas with them. but i guess to me christmas is about being with family, and i know this is gonna sound awful, but it just isn't the holidays unless someone fights, it happens every year, and while i hate it, i've come to expect it, and just kind of let it happen. but at the end of the day, we still love each other

i would post what other people are doing this, but idk yet, not very many so far.

MERRY CHRISTMAS (or if you celebrate anything other than christmas HAPPY (insert holiday here)!!!!!!)

No comments: