Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Magically Fatal

i definitely liked Porcelain Rose better than this story, and i feel like i could have written more, and i wanted to, but i was writing this one for a contest that had a limit on the length of the literary works, which was 2000 words, and i just barely made it, so yeah, not my best story, but yeah i made an effort

Kiara had lived a relatively normal childhood, or so she had thought. She was seventeen and her body was going through some very odd changes. And what was even worse was that her mom wanted to send her away to some boarding school for freaks like her! But I'm getting ahead of myself. You probably want me to start at the beginning.
Kiara had just started her junior year in high school, she had also just had her seventeenth birthday. Now Kiara was far from ugly, she just had very unusual taste in music and things she thought were cool, so she wasn't one of the "popular" crowd. Kiara had long dark brown hair that was very slightly curly and she had almond shaped eyes that were the color of coffee. She wasn't fat, but she wasn't anorexic like most of the other girls in her grade. She also had this weird sort of grace that made her seem like she was dancing with every step and when she gestured at something her hand movements were very fluid. But she had noticed that there were things that were happening to her that no other girls were going through. If she pointed at something it would either become animated or turn into something else or it might just disappear. Also if she gestured when she talked then she just wouldn't know what could or would happen. She tried to talk to her mom and understand what was going on but all of these conversations would end in her mom trying to convince Kiara to go to the school. Her mom wanted to send her to this school that her mom said would help her work through what was happening to her. Kiara really wanted to know and understand what was happening to her, but she didn't want to leave all that she had known.
"Honey," her mom begged. "You have to go! There isn't anyone here who can help you."
"Mom, I can't and won't go," Kiara responded. "If you think this is the only option then I'll just have to figure out what is happening to me on my own."
"I have no doubt that you can figure it out by yourself, but . . ." Her mom faltered.
"But what mom? If I don't go I'll become a social outcast? Well I have news for you. I already am a social outcast!"
"No, that's not it at all. It's just that if you don't learn to control your powers by the time you turn eighteen they might destroy you."
"What? Destroy me? And what do you mean by 'powers?'"
"What I mean is that your dad was a warlock and he didn't bother to tell me this minor detail until I found you hovering your bed. He bound your powers and the binding was supposed to come off when you were thirteen because it is required that all witches and warlocks' powers are bound until they are thirteen, but for some reason the binding stuck."
"But momma, you said that daddy had died a long time ago and that was why you weren't together anymore."
"I know I said that, but the truth is he ran away with some witch. Trust me you would have known if he had died, because you are blood relation and you are both magical you have some bond that is closer than any other normal father-daughter relationship. But Kiara, you have to go to this school, I can't bear to loose you too." Her mom looked close to tears.
"Okay momma, I'll go."
It was Kiara's first day at her new school. In her first couple of classes there was one girl who was very friendly and would sit next to her, her name was Kiki. Kiki's hair was jet black and about shoulder length and had a choppy kind of cut to it, but it had a pink stripe in it. She also dressed very eccentrically and seemed very outgoing. Kiki was also very bubbly and friendly, this was the reason that Kiara sat with Kiki at lunch since she didn't know anyone else and didn't want to eat by herself on her first day at school.
"Oooooooo Kiara," Kiki gushed. "It looks like one of the cutest boys in our grade has taken a liking to you."
"How can you tell?"
"Uh, cause he is right behind you." She stated as she bounced. Kiara immediately blushed. "Hey Kenai!"
Yep definitely very friendly. Thought Kiara. She turned around to look into the most startlingly beautiful blue eyes she had ever seen. He had dark brown hair that was short but long enough to fall into his eyes and frame his face perfectly. He was also oddly graceful and his grace made him seem like and angel.
"What is your name?" He asked with an outstretched hand.
Kiara stuttered and tripped over her words and finally just blushed a deeper shade of red as she reached out to take his hand. "Her name is Kiara," offered Kiki. Kiara shot her a relieved look.
"Thank you Kiki," said Kenai, then looking back to Kiara. "Kiara, huh? That's a very pretty name. May I sit down?" Kiara nodded. "So why are you just showing up?" He asked as he sat down. "Most kids show up when they turn thirteen, and how old are you?"
"I'm seventeen, and the reason that I'm showing up now is that now is when the binding on my powers wore off, or was taken off. My mom and I don't know if my dad took it off or if he renewed the binding when I turned thirteen, or if he just put a really strong binding on my powers when they appeared when I was little."
"Why couldn't your mom take the binding off when you were thirteen if had stuck? Isn't she a witch too?" Asked Kenai.
"No, my mom is a mortal, so I'm only half witch I guess."
"Oh that is dangerous, those types have a very hard time controlling their powers and their powers usually end up destroying that person by the time they are eighteen," Kiki observed.
"I know, that is why my mom sent me here, she couldn't stand to loose me too, especially after my dad left her for a witch."
"I see, so you were forced to leave your normal life and normal family for this," said Kenai, gesturing around them.
"Yeah, basically." Said Kiara nodding. Their conversation continued for the rest of the lunch period. That evening, after Kiki had showed her where the dorms were, Kiara found out who her roommate was and that her roomie really didn't want Kiara at the school, much less in the same room. Her name was Beth. Kiara tried to avoid Beth as well as she could. The next morning at breakfast she found Kiki sitting by herself at a table outside reading.
"Good morning Kiki!" Kiara said brightly. Kiki's hair had a very bright turquoise strip in it today.
"Hey Kiara. You seem much more well adjusted today than you were yesterday."
"Yeah I guess I am. There is one thing though." Kiara added frowning.
"What is it?" Kiki asked as her hair turned back to its natural black.
"Oh it's nothing really, just my roomie, Beth. She doesn't really seem to like me much. I don't know why I haven't done anything to her." Kiara shrugged. "Hey does you hair do that normally?"
"What, change color with my mood? Yeah it does or I can change it on command." Said Kiki as her hair turned back to turquoise. "But anyway about Beth. She is Kenai's ex-girlfriend, she probably saw you talking to him yesterday and got jealous. She is usually harmless, but try not to get on her bad side, she has some of the most powerful powers in the school. Well speak of the devil. Hey Kenai."
Kiara turned around. "Why do you always come up behind me?"
"Oh nothing," said Kenai with an innocent look on his face and put his arm around her, "I just really like to startle you. The look on your face is cute."
"Ya know Kenai, no matter how cute she looks when she is startled, you probably shouldn't until she gets control of her powers." Said Kiki very matter of factly.
"Oh I hadn't thought of that. So I guess I probably shouldn't do this." he asked as he kissed Kiara.
"No probably not, but it is a little late, well at least the world hasn't ended."
"Oh very funny Kiki." Snapped Kiara after she got her breath back.
The rest of the year passed in much the same way. Kiara would go to class in the morning and try to understand what her teachers were trying to explain. By the end of the year Kiara hadn't made much headway in controlling her powers. The only difference in the beginning of the year and now was that Kiara and Kenai had started dating and Kiara and Kiki were best friends. It was almost Kiara's eighteenth birthday and her powers were getting harder and harder to control.
"What's wrong hon?" Asked Kiki after Kiara had sat down with a worried expression on her face.
"Oh I blew up another desk today when I was trying to get it to levitate." Kiara sighed.
"That's really not good Kiara." Said Kenai from behind her. He made Kiara jump which made a branch from the tree they were sitting under fall to the ground.
"Kenai! I'm really sorry, I'm trying really hard, but I just can't get the hang of it." Kiara buried her face in her hands. "If I don't get my powers under control soon my mom will be so distraught if they destroy me. What on earth am I gonna do?"
"Don't worry Kiara. We'll help you, Kenai and I are start pupils," offered Kiki.
"That's right! We'll have you shaped up in no time! By the time we are done with you, you'll be top of the class."
"Really?" Kiara looked up.
"Yes, really." Kiki promised.
"Thanks guys, this means a lot to me."
The next few weeks they worked with Kiara during their breaks and lunch. Kiki and Kenai would also take turns staying up late drilling Kiara on spells and charms. By the end of the year Kiara had stunned all of her teachers with her quick understanding of the subjects. They had all but labeled her as a lost cause. She could also do all of the spells on command without even needing the incantations. She quickly rose to the top of every class.
"Kiki! Kenai! Guess what? I passed all of my classes with flying colors!" Kiara exclaimed as she bounced up to them.
"That's great Kiara." Said Kenai as he gave her a kiss on her forehead.
"Yeah, I'm so glad we could help." Said Kiki as she flounced over to give Kiara a hug.
"Now I can tell my mom that I have my powers under control!"
"That's terrific sweetie." Said Kenai without much enthusiasm. Then a worried expression came over his and Kiki's face.
"What is wrong with you two? I thought you would be ecstatic that I have my powers under control."
"We are happy about that, believe me," said Kiki.
"But we don't want you to leave," added Kenai.
"Is that all?" Kiara almost laughed. "My mom would have to pry me from this place with a crowbar. I finally have somewhere that I feel at home and comfortable. I finally have somewhere I belong." Both Kiki and Kenai looked extremely relieved. "Is that all you guys were worried about?"
"Yeah," Kenai and Kiki mumbled embarrassed.
"Oh guys, I love you both too much to leave now. And I still have way too much still to learn."

1 comment:

Nathan said...

so usually an author tries not to have too many characters with the same name...because they can all be easily confused...